jobs in united kingdom | Research Data Officer
University of Bristol – Faculty of Health Sciences
|Salary:||£38,017 to £42,792 per annum (pro rata if part time)|
|Placed On:||14th June 2021|
|Closes:||28th June 2021|
You will join an existing data management team supporting epidemiology and population heath research groups in the MRC Integrative Epidemiology Unit and associated research programmes. The research group makes extensive use of population and clinical cohort data sets, each of which has its own governance framework and permissions. The role has responsibility for the acquisition and governance of this data; supporting researchers in transferring data sets between institutions and storing datasets within the MRC IEU research data storage systems. You will also administer user access rights on database systems. As part of a new initiative to maximise the value of existing data controlled by the Population Health Sciences Department, you will be responsible for developing a new data repository for historic cohort study data.
What will you be doing?
You will have three main areas of activity:
- Work with research staff and the data team to expand and manage the IEU OpenGWAS database (https://gwas.mrcieu.ac.uk/) which is a core part of the MR-Base platform (mrbase.org);
- Take the lead in developing a new data repository for historic cohort study data, which will involve collecting and curating data and meta-data from a range of sources and developing the infrastructure for data storage and management
- Provide support to researchers in the management of datasets, such as arranging data transfer; setting user access rights; actioning consent withdraw and data destruction requests; providing reports
To fulfil these activities, you will need to:
- Design new systems, write new standard operating procedures and suggest improvements to existing systems;
- Develop software, database infrastructure and programming;
- Liaise with researchers, other data managers and IT colleagues;
- Provide documentation, training and guidance to researchers on the use of systems;
- Maintain high ethical and confidentiality standards
You should apply if
We are looking for an enthusiastic team member who can demonstrate the following capability and experience:
- Experience of developing and managing databases;
- Experience of software development and programming, backed up by best practice examples of documentation and script sharing;
- Experience in handling medical, biomedical and/or molecular data within a governance framework for health research;
- Good written and oral communication skills and the ability to provide professional support to members of the wider research group.
Working as part of a team, you will be expected to manage your own workload and show initiative in developing best practice models and problem solving. A high standard of professional expertise is expected from applicants, but further training and professional development will be encouraged and supported.
Contract type: Open ended with funding until 31/03/2023
Work pattern: 1FTE / 100% time / Part time will be considered
Salary: £38,017 – £42,792 per annum (pro rata if part time)
School/Unit: Bristol Medical School
Shift pattern: 35 hours per week
This advert will close at 23:59 GMT on 28/06/2021
For informal enquiries or additional information please contact Lindsey Gaunt : email@example.com to make an appointment
We welcome applications from all members of our community and are particularly encouraging those from diverse groups, such as members of the LGBT+ and BAME communities, to join us.